A Brush With Kindness
“A Brush With Kindness” brings resources, volunteers and homeowners to come together and help with small projects such as yard clean up or painting a solid structure that needs a little TLC. Our program brings volunteers from service groups, businesses, congregations and community agencies to help low income homeowners who are challenged by age, disability or circumstance.
Old Colony Programs
To qualify for our A Brush with Kindness program, you must:
1. Be an owner-occupied homeowner and complete the application form, any person living in the household (over age 18) should complete all sections of the application,
2. Have lived or worked in our service area for at least one year: Assonet, Attleboro, Bellingham, Berkley, Dighton, East Freetown, Fall River, Foxboro, Franklin, Mansfield, Norfolk, North Attleboro, Norton, Plainville, Raynham, Rehoboth, Seekonk, Somerset, Swansea, Taunton and Wrentham.
3. Scope of work requested must match our program resources – we are taking applications at this time for home exterior projects with a materials limit of $500.
4. Meet the following HUD Median income guidelines: Click Here.
5. Have secure employment, good credit, legal residency, no felony convictions and no more than one conviction for a misdemeanor,
6. All able-bodied homeowners and residents of the home are required to work alongside volunteers. Homeowners and residents are expected to be cooperative partners with staff and volunteers.
Who is Eligible?
- Home is in one of our 19 communities we serve
- Owner occupied for at least the last 2 years and have homeowners insurance
- 2020 Maximum Gross Income allowed based on 60% of Area Median Income.
- Needed repairs match what ABWK does
- Cannot have received assistance through ABWK in the past 2 years
What we do
- Exterior Painting
- Tree trimming and removal
- General yard cleaning (does not include regular lawn care or snow removal)
- Light repairs to their home, including painting fences, doors or decks in good sound condition, patching, minor repairs,
- landscaping, yard cleanup, or planting shrubs
What we don't do
- Emergency repairs
- Driveway Paving
- Cosmetic repairs (Remodel)
- Large Structural repairs (Foundations, waterproofing, etc.)
- Building additions (Rebuild garage, finish basements or attics)
- Replace damaged doors or windows
- Repair plumbing and electrical problems
Communities We Serve
Assonet, Attleboro, Bellingham, Berkley, East Freetown, Fall River, Foxboro, Franklin, Mansfield, Norfolk, North Attleboro, Norton, Plainville, Raynham, Rehoboth, Seekonk, Dighton, Swansea, Somerset, Taunton, and Wrentham.